Coastal Cleanup Day 2016 Patches
I Love A Clean San Diego provides patches for free to Coastal Cleanup Day volunteers. Check back in after the event for the patch sign up form! This year's patch features the tagline for this year's event:
Coastal Cleanup Day Photo Contest
Submit a photo for our Coastal Cleanup Day Photo Contest! Take a picture during the event inspired by this years theme: Discovering a clean San Diego! Your volunteerism on Coastal Cleanup Day will lead to a more beautiful San Diego - and we want you to capture that beauty in a picture! Click here for more details.
2016 Bling Your Bucket Contest
I Love A Clean San Diego is continuing the Bling Your Bucket art contest for all ages that encourages participants to use their creativity and imagination to learn why it is important to keep our waterways, beaches, and ocean free from marine littler. Winners will receive great prizes and have their picture posted on this website for one year! Adults are encouraged to participate as well! Click here for more details on how to enter!
Create Your Own Sand Sifter In addition to decorating your own bucket, you can further emphasize REUSE by decorating your own milk jug to use at the cleanup. You can simply decorate and bring a milk jug, or create your own milk jug sand sifter to remove the smaller pieces of plastic and those pesky cigarette butts out of the sand at your cleanup site. Help us practice the 3 R's, Recycle, Reduce, Reuse at this year's Coastal Cleanup Day by following the milk jug sand sifter project below.
- Plastic milk gallon or water jug
- Duct tape
- One piece of window screen (most hardware stores have screen)
- Wash and dry plastic jug
- Cut off the top of the jug in an oval shape without cutting off the jug's handle. It is best to cut the jug on a stable surface to prevent any accidents.
- Place the 6x6 inch screen on top of the hole. Carefully tape the screen with duct tape to the jug, securing the screen as tightly as possible to the jug.
- Cut out the bottom of the jug and put tape around all the edges. (To cover all sharp edges)
- Clean the beach! You are now ready to filter small bits of plastic, cigarette butts and other kinds of plastic by scooping sand and sifting it through the wire screen. You can now find all the trash hidden in the sand!
2015 Bling Your Bucket Contest Winners
Thank you to all volunteers that submitted entries into the 2015 Bling Your Bucket contest for Coastal Cleanup Day. I Love A Clean San Diego greatly appreciates all participants that set a positive example and reduced and reused at Coastal Cleanup Day! Winners are displayed below. Congratulations to our 2015 winners!